If you own a condominium or rental apartment building larger than a duplex, exceeds 2,300 feet and that contains more than 10 units, your building is required to have a 40-year recertification to ensure the building is in good repair and maintained properly. This recertification typically occurs once the building reaches the age of 40-years old and is inspected again at every 10-year mark thereafter. What is a 40-year recertification and what is the process involved?

Notifications By Mail

Once your building reaches 40-years old, you should receive in the mail a letter from your county or city about receiving an engineer or architect to inspect the building. If you do not receive a letter in the mail once your building hits the 40-year mark, it is your responsibility to contact your city or county to inform them that you need to have your building inspected to gain the proper recertification in order to keep operating.

There are some buildings that are exempt from recertification and that includes single family homes and smaller condominiums, schools – their inspections are done by the school board, any government-owned office buildings, and rental apartments. Buildings located on an Indian reservation are also exempt from the 40-year recertification as they conduct their own inspections and certifications.

What is Inspected?

An engineer or architect will come to your building and inspect several aspects of your structure to ensure safety and proper maintenance. For example, both the structural integrity and electrical systems will be inspected. The engineer will check to see if there are no cracks in the foundation of the building and if there are if they are minor or require immediate repairs. The building's windows, heating system, elevators, flooring, and plumbing may all be inspected to ensure the required repairs and upkeep are taking place.

Once the inspection is complete, you have several months – this may change depending on what county you are in, so check with your city for the length of time they allow to make repairs or send in the report, to send in the engineer or architect's report. This should be done in person and in fact, many counties require you to bring it personally to the office.

If you do not submit your report within the required time, you could end up facing fines and penalties, so it's a good idea to get your report in quickly. If you need an extension, then contact the office as soon as possible as extensions are granted on a case-by-case basis.